Re: st: sheafcoef command

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: sheafcoef command
Date   Fri, 11 Sep 2009 21:49:30 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Fri, 11/9/09, Amy Jennings wrote:
> I was recently advised to use the sheafcoef command to
> obtain an overall regression coefficient for dummy coded
> variables, I was just wondering if it is ok to use the
> sheafcoef command when you have run a regression with both
> continuous and dummy coded predictors?  When I have
> done this I seem to get much larger coeffcients for the
> dummy coded variables,

There is no problem with using a combination of dummy and
continuous variables. If you are unsure you can read the
original article, which is not bad for an original article:

Heise, David R. (1972). Employing nominal variables, induced
variables, and block variables in path analysis. Sociological
Methods & Research, 1(2): 147--173.

Alternatively I just gave a talk about this at the UK Stata
Users' Group Meeting, and the slides are downloadable from my

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie
Universitaet Tuebingen