st: R: sheafcoef command

From   "Carlo Lazzaro" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: R: sheafcoef command
Date   Fri, 11 Sep 2009 18:01:08 +0200

Dear Amy,
unfortunately I am not an expert on sheafcoef.
However, hoping to be of some help, please find below reported the
announcement of  -sheafcoef- package updating that Maarten Buis (let's hope
that he can come across your posting pretty soon!!) sent to the list last
Monday.
Maybe in the - help file - you can find some hints or references for your
research purposes.

Sorry I cannot be more helpful.

Kind Regards,
Carlo

-----Messaggio originale-----
Da: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] Per conto di Maarten buis
Inviato: lunedì 7 settembre 2009 12.33
A: stata list
Oggetto: st: update sheafcoef available

Thanks to Kit Baum an updated version of the -sheafcoef- package
is now availabel on SSC. To instal this update type in Stata
-scc instal sheafcoef, replace-. This update fixes a bug in the
way control variables where displayed when the -eform- option
was specified. I will present this package (together with the
-propcnsreg- package) at the comming UK Stata Users' meeting this
Thursday ( http://www.stata.com/meeting/uk09/ ). A short
description of this package is shown below.

sheafcoef is a post-estimation command that estimates sheaf
coefficients (Heise, Sociological Methods and Research 1972). A
sheaf coefficient assumes that a block of variables influence the
dependent variable through a latent variable. This assumption is
not tested, nor is it testable; a sheaf coefficient is just a
different way of presenting the results from a model. Its main
usefulness is in comparing the relative strength of the influence
of several blocks of variables. For example, say we want to know
what determines the probability of working non-standard hours
(evenings, nights, and weekends) and we have a block of variables
representing characteristics of the job and another block of
variables representing the family situation of the respondent,
and we want to say something about the relative importance of job
characteristics versus family situation. In that case one could
estimate a logit model with both blocks of variables and
optionally some other control variables. After that one can use
sheafcoef to display the effects of two latent variables, family
background and job characteristics, which are both standardized
to have a standard deviation of 1, and can thus be more easily
compared.

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie