Re: st: RE: exact command for distance ?

From   Austin Nichols <>
Subject   Re: st: RE: exact command for distance ?
Date   Fri, 11 Sep 2009 11:52:25 -0400

Just in case you thought I was being flip, let me assure you--I mean
it--the distance to the nearest centroid (of bodies of water) is not a
variable you can use for anything useful. However, if you have a file
of polygons for bodies of water rather than a file of centroids, the
method I outlined still works, finding then the distance to the
nearest vertex, which is a good approximation of the distance to
nearest water, and gets better as your polygon file gets more