st: Re: St: Re exact command for distance?

From   Laura Platchkov <>
Subject   st: Re: St: Re exact command for distance?
Date   Fri, 11 Sep 2009 15:33:41 +0100

Hi Austin,

Yes I know, the centroid of a water bodies is not so exact, but how could I do it differently? I mean, the shapefile that I have are polygons, and when I transform it in .dta, with the shp2dta command, then STATA automatically computes the centroid.

I computed some distances with distmatch, but I am open to another more realistic solution. Maybe i could try to find a shapefile which contains the limits of the water bodies as points...???

Could you explain your command in words? If I understand well, it will give me the same results as the distmatch command, isnt'it?