st: RE: RE: "sort" over different variables

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: "sort" over different variables
Date   Mon, 24 Aug 2009 20:32:20 +0100

Second thoughts:

You may be asking here for a row sort. If so, see

SJ-9-1  pr0046  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Speaking Stata:
Rowwise
        (help rowsort, rowranks if installed) . . . . . . . . . . .  N.
J. Cox
        Q1/09   SJ 9(1):137--157
        shows how to exploit functions, egen functions, and Mata
        for working rowwise; rowsort and rowranks are introduced

for a detailed discussions. The programs introduced are accessible
regardless of whether you have access to recent issues of the Stata
Journal.

Nick Cox

This is too simplified and could be any number of things.

Renaming or re-ordering your variables may be quite enough to solve your
problem. See, e.g., -order-.

If that doesn't make sense, please explain in more detail what your
problem is.

I have a quick (and probably simple) question: I would like to "sort" my
dataset over several variables. At the moment my dataset looks like this
(very simplified example):

Var1   Var2   Var3    Var4
1000   3000   2000    500

And should look like this: