RE: st: Thinking through best way to do a longitudinal analysis

From   Cameron McIntosh <[email protected]>
To   STATA LIST <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Thinking through best way to do a longitudinal analysis
Date   Fri, 14 Aug 2009 22:36:01 -0400

Chelsea,

I'll try and point you in what I think might be a good direction. You may want to read up on growth mixture modeling:

Wang, M., & Bodner, T.E. (2007). Growth Mixture Modeling: Identifying and Predicting Unobserved Subpopulations With Longitudinal Data. Organizational Research Methods, 10(4), 635-656.

Dolan, C.V., Schmittmann, V.D., Lubke, G.H. & Neale, M.C. (2005). Regime switching in the latent growth curve mixture model. Structural Equation Modeling, 12, 94-119
http://users.fmg.uva.nl/cdolan/semmix.pdf

Muthén, B.O. (2004). Latent variable analysis: Growth mixture modeling and related techniques for longitudinal data. In D.Kaplan (Ed.), Handbook of quantitative methodology for the social sciences (pp. 345-368). Newbury Park, CA: Sage.

In this case you "know" your "latent classes" (hormonal contraception or not), but that's no problem. The varying assessment times and missing data could be a bit tricky but there is some literature out there:

Blozis, S.A., & Cho, Y.I. (2008). Coding and centering of time in latent curve models in the presence of interindividual time heterogeneity. Structural Equation Modeling, 15(3), 413-433.

Biesanz. J.C., Deeb-Sossa, N., Papadakis, A.A., Bollen, K.A., Curran, P..J. (2004). The role of coding time in estimating and interpreting growth curve models. Psychological Methods, 9(1), 30–52.
http://www.unc.edu/~curran/pdfs/Biesanz,Deeb-Sossa,Papadakis,Bollen&Curran(2004).pdf

Duncan, S.C., & Duncan, T.E. (1994). Modeling incomplete longitudinal substance use data using latent variable growth curve methodology. Multivariate Behavioral Research, 29(4), 313-338.

-gllamm- might be able to do what you want (if not, Mplus for sure). Hope this is helpful,

Cam

> Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 13:27:15 -0700
> From: [email protected]
> Subject: Re: st: Thinking through best way to do a longitudinal analysis
> To: [email protected]
>
> Another option is to use a linear mixed model approach.
>
> Scott Millis

Send and receive email from all of your webmail accounts.
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9671356