Statalist

Re: st: Reproducing xtlogit with xtmelogit

From   rgutierrez@stata.com (Roberto G. Gutierrez, StataCorp)
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: Reproducing xtlogit with xtmelogit
Date   Tue, 11 Aug 2009 10:17:10 -0500

Thomas Klausch <thomas.klausch@gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks for the initial guidelines. However, if I apply the same syntax to my
> data set, that is

> xtset respnr
> xtlogit dummy

> //equivalent xtlogit model should be:
> xtmelogit dummy || respnr:

> STATA returns the error code r1400 "initial values not feasible" (numerical
> overflow). However for xtlogit the algorithm finds a solution.

> So I understand that the algorithms used by the two programs (xtlogit and
> xtmelogit) are not the same. Is there anything I can do about this numerical
> overflow?

Thomas' assertion that both commands should produce equivalent results is
correct.  As to why he is getting the error on initial values, if he could
send his data directly to me or to <tech-support@stata.com>, we'd be glad
to take a closer look.

--Bobby
rgutierrez@stata.com