Re: st: no Stata 11 icons in XP

From   Jeph Herrin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: no Stata 11 icons in XP
Date   Mon, 10 Aug 2009 11:55:39 -0400

Sergiy,

Thanks for the reply. Stata opens Stata files correctly,
as I said I have successfully modified the default behaviour.
The problem is only the icon.

Also,
 1. The registry entries are correct (match yours)
 2. When I open the Advanced dialog box on the file
    type editor, the correct icon is shown on the
    dialog box.
 3. It is not actually a Wordpad icon but an icon
    that I cannot identify - a sheet of paper with
    a pencil.

So apparently XP is configured correctly to the extent
that if I try to modify the icon, it shows the correct
one as already assigned. THough of course I have tried
reassigning. It seems to be only that when XP needs to
display a directory that it can no longer find the correct
icon.

Particularly odd that I have the same problem for two
installations.

thanks,
Jeph

Sergiy Radyakin wrote:
Dear Jeph,

I have Stata icons on an XP machine working fine. I suggest trying the
following:
1) as I understand the icon is from Wordpad. Does Wordpad also open
the file? Or is Stata launched when you double-click the file?
2) can you change the program that opens the file?
3) can you register another type (e.g. 123) with a Stata icon?
4) Do you observe similar things with other file types?
5) Is there any program that monitors registry and restores the
settings? (watch-dog kind of a program).
6) Save this as a Stata.reg file and double-click to import to
registry. Before importing, change path to Stata's binary as
appropriate. See if do-files are fixed.
//-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.do]
@="Stata11Do"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Stata11Do]
@="Stata Do-file"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Stata11Do\DefaultIcon]
@="\"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Stata11\\StataMP-64.exe\",3"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Stata11Do\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Stata11Do\shell\Edit]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Stata11Do\shell\Edit\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Stata11\\StataMP-64.exe\" doedit \"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Stata11Do\shell\open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Stata11Do\shell\open\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Stata11\\StataMP-64.exe\" \"%1\""

Best regards, Sergiy Radyakin