Re: st: reporting beta coefficients in GEE

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: reporting beta coefficients in GEE
Date   Mon, 3 Aug 2009 02:23:03 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Sun, 2/8/09, Alison McCarthy wrote:
> I was wondering whether there was a problem if I reported
> standardised coefficients? I have many variables that are
> scaled differently and do not appear to be comparable in the
> using the usual b scores. I am using GEE, pa f(nb)
> corr(exch)

In principle there is nothing wrong with standardizing
variables to make their coefficients comparable. I'd be a bit
hesitant to compare the effects of variables that are very
different on substantive reasons. I'd rather report the
effect of getting a year older and getting a euro/dollar more
income on a dependent variable. Standardizing means that you
loose these substantively interesting metrics, which is often
more important to me than finding the "strongest" effect.

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie
Universitaet Tuebingen