st: Re: Extended missing values from -destring-

From   "Joseph Coveney" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: Re: Extended missing values from -destring-
Date   Tue, 23 Jun 2009 00:00:52 +0900

Bert Jung wrote:

I have a string variable that contains mostly numbers but also
informative missing values like "dk" and "na".  I would like to
-destring- but retain the
cause for the missing values, i.e. produce extended missing values
such as .d and .n where appropriate.  -destring- apparently only
accommodates the system missing value ".".

I could write a few lines (e.g. copy into a second variable and then
replace) but wondered if there is a one-line way to coax -destring-
into producing these extended missing values?

I'm not sure about a single line of code (unless someone has already written a
convenience module to do it), but you could do something like

replace var = "." + lower(substr(var, 1, 1)) ///
    if inrange(lower(substr(var, 1, 1,)), "a", "z")

and then -destring- the result.

Joseph Coveney