Re: st: DHS Ghana merging question

From   Amadou DIALLO <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: DHS Ghana merging question
Date   Mon, 22 Jun 2009 18:02:40 +0300

Tharshin,

Normally, there is a doc file contained in the zipped child anthro
file that describes how to merge (if I recall, it is said to merge
with the child KR dataset). I am not sure you use the correct
variables for merging. I thinks also you should rename anthro
variables in the women IR and children KR files before attempting to
merge. Please notice that the women (what DHS team calls "individual")
files contain information about "partner/husband" educational level.

Since I am working extensively with DHS datasets, please contact me
off network so that I can try to help you.

Best regards.

Amadou.

2009/6/22, Friedrich Huebler <[email protected]>:
> Tharshini,
>
> In your message of June 11 you described how you are merging the
> household member data with the anthropometric data. When I reproduce
> your approach the data from all household members, adults and
> children, appear in the merged file.
>
> http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2009-06/msg00412.html
>
> You write now that "only information for children is kept" but without
> seeing the Stata commands you used it is difficult to understand what
> you are doing differently.
>
> The household member file lists the line number of the mother and
> father of each child up to 14 years of age in the variables hv112 and
> hv114. You can use this line number to create variables with the
> parents' age, level of education, etc. As an example, assume you want
> to identify the parents' ages. First, sort the data by household ID
> and household member line number.
>
> . sort hhid hvidx
>
> Next, generate variables with the mother's and father's age.
>
> . by hhid: gen mage = hv105[hv112]
> . by hhid: gen fage = hv105[hv114]
>
> Two FAQs on the Stata website provide information related to your problem.
>
> "How do I create a variable recording whether any members of a group
> (or all members of a group) possess some characteristic?"
> http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/anyall.html
>
> "How do I create variables summarizing for each individual properties
> of the other members of a group?"
> http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/members.html
>
> Friedrich
>
> On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 6:43 AM, Tharshini
> Thangavelu<[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have  a specific question concerning the Ghana DHS survery. I am trying
>> clean the dataset so to analysis using a 2SLS method and of IV method. My
>> dependent variable will be the anthropometric variables controlling for
>> socio
>> economic factors, mothers education, fathers education ect.
>>
>> Basically my question is : how does paternal (fathers and mothers)
>> education
>> improve the child health in Ghana?
>>
>> I know how to merge but is still confusing! I am trying as the information
>> given
>> by DHS, that is. I merge first the anthropometric data set with the
>> household
>> member data. Then, I merge the resulting file with the individual data
>> to finally merge it with the child recode data file.
>>
>> The first merging (anthropometric and household member data) only
>> information
>> for children is kept,which I think is correct.
>>
>> Ex. HV105 "the age of household member" gives information about the age of
>> all
>> the household member. When merging the anthropometric data with the
>> household
>> member data, as intuitive says HV105 excludes all age above 5 years.
>>
>> In order to answer my problem question, I need mothers' fathers' age,
> [...]

---

Amadou B. DIALLO, PHD
Development Economist
Director, Center for Research and Training on Adult Education
Mayotte, FRANCE
www.aprosasoma.org
+262639693250