st: Extended missing values from -destring-

From   Bert Jung <>
Subject   st: Extended missing values from -destring-
Date   Mon, 22 Jun 2009 10:08:51 -0400

Dear Statalisters,

I have a string variable that contains mostly numbers but also
informative missing values like "dk" and "na".  I would like to
-destring- but retain the
cause for the missing values, i.e. produce extended missing values
such as .d and .n where appropriate.  -destring- apparently only
accommodates the system missing value ".".

I could write a few lines (e.g. copy into a second variable and then
replace) but wondered if there is a one-line way to coax -destring-
into producing these extended missing values?