st: RE: Matching fuzzy names with reclink

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: Matching fuzzy names with reclink
Date   Wed, 3 Jun 2009 15:12:32 +0100

-findit reclink- reveals that this is a user-written program by Michael
Blasnik on SSC. (Please remember to specify, as the Statalist FAQ asks,
where user-written programs you refer to come from.)

Michael has been a long-time member of this list, although he may not be
on it right now. If he doesn't reply, you may need to contact him
directly for support.

Pacher S (OS)

I am using Stata 9.1 and want to merge two datasets by company names.
As these names are not perfectly similar in both datasets, I use the
reclink.ado file.
However, after a certain period reclink stopps and asks for an
additional closed bracket.
I do not know why this happens.

I have the following syntax:

.reclink cname using "d:\Compustat_reclink.dta" , idmaster(id1)
idusing(id2) gen(score)

When I run this command, the program works fine. However, after
approximately 15% of the process it stopps.
As you can see below, it finishes about 15% of the task.

Here is the message that appears:

.Going through 54114 observation to assess fuzzy matches, each .=5%
...) required

It is probably a very simple mistake but I tried it several times now
and the result is always similar.
Any comment would be highly appreciated.