Re: st: PWEIGHT question

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: PWEIGHT question
Date   Fri, 15 May 2009 08:48:19 -0400

Ana is correct. You must use pweights.  If you use -fweights-
(frequency weights) , Stata will think that your sample size is 7
million, not 500.  This, by the way is how SPSS treats weighted data,
and, by doing so,  makes p-values and standard errors unusuable. This
is the cost  of  "simplicity" that Martin wondered about.

A hallmark of weights is that they sum to the population size, so they
should be large numbers, possibly fractional. You can check the
weights by:

egen tot_wt= total(weight_var)
list tot_wt in 1

Who weighted the data? If it is a professional survey organization
they should have documented the sampling design. Th e designmight have
included sampling strata and clusters of telephone exchanges,.  If so,
 use Stata's -svyset- command to indicate the design and use the -svy-
programs to analyze the data.  If there were clusters and you do not
account for them, your standard errors will probably be incorrect.

-Steve