st: RE: sample size estimates for multilevel models

From   "Lachenbruch, Peter" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: sample size estimates for multilevel models
Date   Wed, 13 May 2009 13:47:35 -0700

There is a program called OD from the survey research center at
Michigan.  Check with Stephen Raudenbusch for
further instructions.  "Optimal Design for Multi-level and Longitudinal

Peter A. Lachenbruch
Department of Public Health
Oregon State University
Corvallis, OR 97330
Phone: 541-737-3832
FAX: 541-737-4001

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of Richard
Sent: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 10:02 AM
To: statalist
Subject: st: sample size estimates for multilevel models

Having recently switched from Windows to a Mac, I find myself missing
one thing from the Windows world -- software for sample size estimation
for multilevel models (models that one would use, e.g., -xtmixed- or
-gllamm- for).

I find that, within Stata, I can get what appears to be a reasonable
estimate by -sampsi- for repeated measures and following this with
Joanne Garrett's -sampclus- (from STB 60).  However, I would like to
check the reasonableness of the answer if possible either within Stata
or with Mac software (if any).

Any suggestions are very welcome.