st: sample size estimates for multilevel models

From   Richard Goldstein <>
To   statalist <>
Subject   st: sample size estimates for multilevel models
Date   Wed, 13 May 2009 13:02:11 -0400

Having recently switched from Windows to a Mac, I find myself missing one thing from the Windows world -- software for sample size estimation for multilevel models (models that one would use, e.g., -xtmixed- or -gllamm- for).

I find that, within Stata, I can get what appears to be a reasonable estimate by -sampsi- for repeated measures and following this with Joanne Garrett's -sampclus- (from STB 60). However, I would like to check the reasonableness of the answer if possible either within Stata or with Mac software (if any).

Any suggestions are very welcome.