st: Matrix manipulation help

From   "Susan Olivia" <>
Subject   st: Matrix manipulation help
Date   Wed, 13 May 2009 10:53:46 -0700

Dear Stata list,

Can I get programming advice how to create a NxN distance
matrix using the information on latitude and longitude.

Below is what I attempted to do in STATA, but it didn't
work. Would be great if I can get any advice on how to
improve this code.

qui set obs 1000

gen xcoord = uniform()*100
gen ycoord = uniform()*100

mkmat xcoord ycoord

local N=_N
scalar N = _N

matrix latlong= xcoord,ycoord

matrix D = J(`N',`N', 0)

* looping through the rows and columns of the matrix D, to
get distance pair for each observations

  for(i = 1; i <=N; i++) {
       for(j = 1; j<=N; j++) {
            if (i!=j){