st: Re: Matrix manipulation help

From   "Martin Weiss" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: Re: Matrix manipulation help
Date   Wed, 13 May 2009 20:03:17 +0200

For a start, the # of obs is accessible via "c(N)" throughout your journey... No need to put it in a -local- or -scalar-

This -for- loop you are using used to be popular, as I understand from old SJ articles, but has since been superseded by -foreach- and - forvalues-. See

It lives on in -mata-, though, but you employ the old -matrix- language...

----- Original Message ----- From: "Susan Olivia" <>
To: <>
Sent: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 7:53 PM
Subject: st: Matrix manipulation help

Dear Stata list,

Can I get programming advice how to create a NxN distance
matrix using the information on latitude and longitude.

Below is what I attempted to do in STATA, but it didn't
work. Would be great if I can get any advice on how to
improve this code.

qui set obs 1000

gen xcoord = uniform()*100
gen ycoord = uniform()*100

mkmat xcoord ycoord

local N=_N
scalar N = _N

matrix latlong= xcoord,ycoord

matrix D = J(`N',`N', 0)

* looping through the rows and columns of the matrix D, to
get distance pair for each observations

 for(i = 1; i <=N; i++) {
      for(j = 1; j<=N; j++) {
           if (i!=j){