st: RE: -mkspline- reference

From   "Kieran McCaul" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: -mkspline- reference
Date   Wed, 6 May 2009 07:05:54 +0800

Frank Harrell's book "Regression Modelling Strategies" has a chapter on
restricted cubic splines.

Kieran McCaul MPH PhD
WA Centre for Health & Ageing (M573)
University of Western Australia
Level 6, Ainslie House
48 Murray St
Perth 6000
Phone: (08) 9224-2701
Fax: (08) 9224 8009
Epidemiology is so beautiful and provides such an important perspective
on human life and death,
but an incredible amount of rubbish is published.  Richard Peto (2007)

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of Jacob Wegelin
Sent: Wednesday, 6 May 2009 6:51 AM
Subject: st: -mkspline- reference

Can anyone point me to a reference for  -mkspline- ?

I mean, ideally, a published article or book that describes in
software-independent terms (so that statisticians who do not know
Stata will understand) exactly the algorithm and/or formula that the
Stata programmers implemented when they wrote -mkspline-.

I apologize if the answer is in [R] Stata Reference Manual. I do not
own that book.

Jacob A. Wegelin
Assistant Professor
Department of Biostatistics