RE: st: spatial weighting matrix

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: spatial weighting matrix
Date   Wed, 8 Apr 2009 18:17:37 +0100

The queen terminology in spatial analysis comes via chess.

Imagine squares on a chessboard.

A queen can enter a neighbouring square either across a length of
boundary (over a link or edge in a boundary network) or diagonally (if
two areas touch at a vertex or node in a boundary network).

A rook or castle is limited to the first of those.

In chess there are of course also other rules but they do not enter
here.

Thus "queen" implies contiguity wide sense and "rook" strict sense.

The terminology goes back at least as far as the work of geographer
Andrew Cliff and econometrician-statistician Keith Ord in the late
1960s.

In terms of the question, I implemented weighting matrices via string
variables [!!!] in -spautoc- on SSC in 1997, but I'd do it in Mata now,
but I don't have detailed advice, let alone code.

Kyle Hood

I'm not sure what "first-order queen contiguity" is, but you will
probably have to geocode address data (geocode: address->lat/lon), and I

don't think you can do this in Stata (that is, unless the breadth of
Stata's capabilities is larger than I had realized, which is sometimes
the case).  Try ArcGIS.  Once you have the geocoded data, you can
probably compute the weight matrix in Stata, if you want.