Re: st: AW: How to add the same block of data to every individual

From   Quang Nguyen <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: AW: How to add the same block of data to every individual
Date   Wed, 8 Apr 2009 07:03:28 -1000

Thanks Martin, Serigy, Nick, and Pavrila. Serigy's suggestion on
joinby is really beautiful.

Many thanks!

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 5:41 AM, Sergiy Radyakin <[email protected]> wrote:
> A better way would be to use -joinby-.
>
> clear
> input byte id byte x
> 1 4
> 2 6
> 3 7
> end
> generate dummy=1
> preserve
> clear
> input str1 y byte z
> a 7
> b 8
> c 9
> end
> gen dummy=1
> tempfile mrg
> save `"`mrg'"'
> restore
> joinby using `"`mrg'"'
> drop dummy
> sort id y
> list, sepby(id)
>
> Best wishes,
>   Sergiy Radyakin
>
> PS: variable dummy (substitute any name, which is not in either of
> your datasets) is needed here because otherwise Stata complains that
> there is no common variable to join by. Perhaps it is a sensible
> default behaviour, when there is nothing to join by, just attach one
> dataset to each observation of the other??
>

> On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 11:31 AM, Quang Nguyen <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Thanks Martin for such an excellent solution. Actually, the block of
>> data is a (6x35) matrix. Can you suggest a somewaht better procedure?
>>
>> Many thanks!
>>

>> On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 5:14 AM, Martin Weiss <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>
>>> <>
>>>
>>> It really depends where you want to take this exercise next, but here is a
>>> shot at the prob:
>>>
>>> *************
>>> clear*
>>>
>>> inp id x
>>> 1  4
>>> 2  6
>>> 3  7
>>> end
>>>
>>> expand 3
>>>
>>> bys id: g str1 y="a"
>>> by id: replace y="b" if _n==2
>>> by id: replace y="c" if _n==3
>>> by id : egen float z = seq(), from(1) to(3) block(1)
>>>
>>> l, noo sepby(id)
>>> *************
>>>

>>> HTH
>>> Martin

>>> 2           6
>>> 3           7
>>>
>>> and a "data block" as follows:
>>>
>>> y           z
>>> a           7
>>> b           8
>>> c           9
>>>
>>> Do you know how I can add this data block to every individual in the
>>> idividial data set. After adding, the new data set will look like the
>>> following:
>>>
>>> id     x    y           z
>>> 1     4     a           7