Re: st: spatial weighting matrix

From   Kyle Hood <>
Subject   Re: st: spatial weighting matrix
Date   Wed, 08 Apr 2009 12:38:07 -0400

I'm not sure what "first-order queen contiguity" is, but you will probably have to geocode address data (geocode: address->lat/lon), and I don't think you can do this in Stata (that is, unless the breadth of Stata's capabilities is larger than I had realized, which is sometimes the case). Try ArcGIS. Once you have the geocoded data, you can probably compute the weight matrix in Stata, if you want.

max r wrote:
Dear all:

I need to create a spatial weighting matrix (first-order queen
contiguity) for a unbalanced panel dataset. The dataset has address
information in it. Is there a way to do this in STATA? I am trying to
test for neigborhood effects in behavior. Appreciate your thoughts.

*   For searches and help try:

Kyle Hood
Department of Economics
Yale University