st: Kaplan Meier estimates

From   Sripal Kumar <>
To   statalist <>
Subject   st: Kaplan Meier estimates
Date   Mon, 2 Mar 2009 22:30:36 -0500

I am trying to calculate the actual number of death in 2 groups
(treatment and intervention) with a 6 year cumulative survival of 41
and 49% based on the Kaplan Meier survival curve (unadjusted).  I know
the number of patients at risk in the 2 groups (291 and 67 pts).  Is
the number of deaths in the group the percentage of survivors times
the number at risk (i.e, 172 and 34).  I feel that its not a simple
calculation given that at each time period the number of patients at
risk varies.  Please help.