st: interpreting standardized coefficients in multiple regressions with product terms

From   "Pek-Hooi Soh" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: interpreting standardized coefficients in multiple regressions with product terms
Date   Mon, 2 Mar 2009 13:09:16 -0800

Hi Stata users,  I used xtnbreg and standardized some of the key variables (listcoef does not work for nbreg) and estimated the regression.

Regarding the interpretation of standardized coefficients, I found examples in Long and Reese (page 377-8) but they don't show regressions with interaction terms.

  If have a standardized regression with standardized coefficients -0.2 for X1 and -.56 for X1 and X2, will a change of 1 st dev in X1 give the following effect on Y?
-0.2 + 0.56*(X2)

The change of 1 st dev in X2 is this.
1.67 + 0.56*(X1)

Do I assume a value of X1 and X2 in each case, by taking the min and max and calculating the resulting effect?

How do I compare the effects of X1 and X2 on Y if there effects range from a negative value to a positive value?

Will appreciate your explanations and help.

Cheers

Pek