Re: st: WinEdt+Stata+unix

From   Neil Shephard <>
Subject   Re: st: WinEdt+Stata+unix
Date   Mon, 16 Feb 2009 09:54:23 +0000

On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 1:21 PM, Michael Manti <> wrote:
> You can run dos2unix on your do files before ftp'ing them to the Unix
> server.  dos2unix will convert the line breaks.
> dos2unix is available as part of Cygwin ( IIRC,
> Cygwin installs dos2unix by default. If not, Cygwin's graphical installer
> makes it easy to find and install GNU software.
> Googling, I also found, which converts files
> online.

Or you could likely save yourself the hassle and run 'dos2unix' on the
files _after_ FTPing them to the UNIX server where you will likely
find that 'dos2unix' is already installed ;-)

That said theres nothing wrong with having a UNIX-like shell at your
disposal under M$-Windows (which is what Cygwin is), and you can even
install an X server and use it to handle remote

"The combination of some data and an aching desire for an answer does
not ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body
of data." ~ John Tukey

Email -
Website -
Photos -