st: Re: Detecting collinearity during regression analysis

Subject   st: Re: Detecting collinearity during regression analysis
Date   Tue, 10 Feb 2009 20:43:27 +0100

<>

My understanding of collinearity is that if two covariates are highly correlated then one of them does not convey information over and above what the other one has already contributed to the regression. So your association of small point estimate with collinearity might be misleading... Watch out for the vifs:

*********
clear*
set obs 10000
*correlated covariates
corr2data x1 x2, corr(1, .1\ .1, 1) cstorage(full)
g y=1+2*x1+3*x2+rnormal()
reg y x1 x2
*small vifs
estat vif
*DGP with correlated covariates
clear*
set obs 10000
corr2data x1 x2, corr(1, .999\ .999, 1) cstorage(full)
g y=1+2*x1+3*x2+rnormal()
reg y x1 x2
*see the massive vifs
estat vif