st: Percent of time a

From   Howard Lempel <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: Percent of time a
Date   Tue, 10 Feb 2009 15:09:57 -0500

Hello all,

Is there a command that will give me the proportion of the time a variable is equal to a certain value?  The command must accept weights.  I'm looking for something like -tabcond-, from SSC, but that returns proportions as well as counts.

One option would be to -generate- a dummy equal to 1 when my variable is equal to my value and zero otherwise and then to use -svy: mean-, but I would prefer something that can be done in one line (and without generating a new variable).  My variable is continuous, so I don't want to -svy: tab- the whole thing.

Thanks for your consideration.

Howie Lempel
Research Assistant
The Brookings Institution | Economic Studies
1775 Massachusetts Ave NW | Washington DC 20036 | p: (202) 238-3576