st: Ranking observations within groups

From   "James Cross" <>
Subject   st: Ranking observations within groups
Date   Thu, 11 Dec 2008 15:04:16 +0000

Hi Statalisters,

I have a variable that represents different actors positions on
different issues (groups). So I have around 30 positions between 0 and
100 for each individual issue within the variable with quite a few
ties. I want to create a variable that ranks these observations in
ascending order so that the lowest observation(s) will have a value of
1 in the new variable, the second lowest observation(s) will have a
value of 2 and so on.

I have tried -by issue_var: egen newvar = rank(oldvar), track- but
this returns a newvar in which the lowest variable is given 1st
position, which is fine, but if there are say 3 ties for position 1,
the second lowest oldvar is ranked in 4th position rather than 2nd
position which is what I need. Any ideas as to how I could create a
newvar where ties do not change the rank position of following
observations within each group?
Best Regards,

James Cross