st: RE: graphing problem

From   "Martin Weiss" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: graphing problem
Date   Fri, 5 Dec 2008 16:16:33 +0100

Line for the server...

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of Mak, Timothy
Sent: Friday, December 05, 2008 4:15 PM
Subject: st: graphing problem

Hi Statalist,

I'm joining the list again after a period of absence. For some reason, I
don't seem to be able to send directly to, but if I reply to a post, then it seems
to get there. My original message was as follows:

Hi Statalist,

Is there any reason why Stata won't let you draw a graph whose y-axis'
range is less than the actual range of the data? Is there a way to get
round this?

The motivation comes from doing a graph where there is one group which
has a articularly large y value. If I graph it with the other groups,
then all the other groups will be very small, and their relative heights
not very distinguishable. If I can focus on the other groups and let the
outlying group 'goes off the scale', that's clearly quite a good device
to have. In fact, the problem can't be overcome even if I artificially
set the outlying y value to the maximum of the y range, because the top
will look different, particularly when I want to graph error intervals.

Thanks for your help.