st: RE: RE: use of count.

From   "Lachenbruch, Peter" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: RE: use of count.
Date   Fri, 19 Sep 2008 09:39:10 -0700

I would second Nick's comments.  I have noticed that there are many
postings that could be answered by reading the manuals or findit or net
search.  Many of these are posted by a few people and my immediate
reaction is far less charitable than Nick's.  I hit the delete key.

This is a plea to those who don't read the manual:  RTFM and the FAQs.

When I receive several hundred emails daily, I delete things that don't
have any interest to me.  I don't want to also delete things that don't
belong on the list in the first place.

Peter A. Lachenbruch
Department of Public Health
Oregon State University
Corvallis, OR 97330
Phone: 541-737-3832
FAX: 541-737-4001

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of Nick Cox
Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2008 4:05 AM
Subject: st: RE: use of count.

This question was clarified later, but I just want to register a general
protest against reports of this kind, in fact a protest that echoes my
last posting.

In my files I have an evolving document with nearly twenty different
interpretations of "does not work" (e.g. is illegal, does not do what I
want, does not do what I expect, ...). Reports so vague are a waste of
everybody's time, including the questioner's.

Ashim Kapoor

I want to do :

bysort state cnum cname : replace no_of_cand_in_state=count

This does not work. could someone please tell me how do I fix this ?