Re: st: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: List of ALL Commands

From   "Sergiy Radyakin" <>
Subject   Re: st: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: List of ALL Commands
Date   Fri, 19 Sep 2008 13:22:37 -0400

maintanance files will help when compiling a list of built-in and
supplied-with commands.
look e.g. at ...\Stata10\ado\base\c\cmddlg.maint
and in general at *.maint

IMHO the lists should be separated into language constructs (program,
end, while, if, etc), built-in commands (basic bricks), and everything
else (ado). I guess the students wanted to know what tools are at
hand, available for work, in an attempt to reduce the open-end
question "which command to use?" to a multiple choice question "which
of these to use?".
-which- and -findfile- are not useful for the purpose. because in
order to check whether the command exists or not you must have an idea
of what it may be called. I've seen a few people who would _suspect_
existence of xtivreg2. (in other words this is precisely the case
where in order to ask a question, you need to know the answer).

About 5 years ago I've seen in library a 3-volume encyclopedia (I
guess about 5000pages in total) of all software released in a
particular year (e.g. in 1990, don't remember now). Although an
immense effort was done to sort and describe all those programs, it
was surely neither complete nor accurate.

However, I see a very practical need for such a list of Stata
commands: for the purpose of syntax highlighting. It would
significantly improve the readability of the programs, because current
highlighters AFAIK are based on Stata's 6-7 syntax (at least mine is).
It may also help preventing name collisions.

Regards, Sergiy Radyakin