Re: st: Stata randomly drops variables

From   Alan Riley <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Stata randomly drops variables
Date   Tue, 26 Aug 2008 17:30:38 -0500

Nikolaus Rentrop <[email protected]> is concerned
that Stata may be dropping variables unexpectedly:
> I'm quite new to this mailing list, so I hope that this topic hasn't
> been discussed already without me noticing. Currently I'm having a major
> problem while working with Stata for a university term paper: I'm
> conducting a short pooled time series analysis in Stata 10 SE but I
> can't even get to the actual statistics because Stata keeps dropping
> variables randomly when I'm working with the data editor. Every time I
> generate a new variable, insert the data, label it and try to save the
> file, suddenly one or two variables disappear magically. The problem is
> mentioned nowhere in the official Stata community forums and when I
> googled the issue, there were only a few posts reporting the same problem.

Nikolaus should contact Stata Technical Services at
[email protected] and include as much information about his
installation as possible (including the output of the -about- command)
so that they can help him resolve it.  We have not seen such a problem
in an official Stata installation.  The only time we have ever seen a
problem like this has been with certain corrupt or modified
executables or licenses which are sometimes available from unofficial
sources on the internet.  A good first step at resolving the issue
would be to make sure to uninstall whatever has been installed and
then to perform a fresh install from an official Stata CD and license
to make sure everything is in a clean initial state.

--Alan
([email protected])