RE: st: autocorrelation in Poisson regression, follow-up

From   "Kieran McCaul" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: autocorrelation in Poisson regression, follow-up
Date   Wed, 6 Aug 2008 10:49:52 +0800

Stas has suggested a couple of models that might indicate
autocorrelation but, as he has commented, it's difficult to see how they
would occur.

Let's imagine that someone is modelling disease counts in a population
over time and they have arrived at a Poisson model that incorporates a
lagged variable - the count or the rate in the previous year.

This would indicate two things to me:
1. Obviously, the cohort is carrying with it some information that is
dependent on the rate in the previous year and is predictive of the rate
in the subsequent year.
2. The Poisson model is not appropriate.

Suppose in this population, only a small proportion are at risk of
getting the disease and the remainder are not at risk but these cannot
be identified.  If a high disease count in one year removed a
significant proportion of those susceptible from the cohort then, in the
next year, a lower count and hence a lower rate would be observed.

This would look like autocorrelation, but it's not.  It is caused by
extreme heterogeneity in risk within the population being followed.  The
Poisson model is wrong.  The Poisson model assumes that everyone is at
risk and that all the person-time accumulated by the cohort as it moves
through time is all at-risk person-time.

In the absence of unexplained heterogeneity of risk, if you are
following a cohort over time and you split the total person-time at risk
into the person-time observed in the first year, in the second year,
etc, then these are all independent samples of the person-time at risk.
If disease counts are being generated by a Poisson process, then the
counts in each year will depend only on the characteristics of the
person-time accrued in each year.  They are all independent, there is no
autocorrelation.

So if the process you are modelling is truly Poisson, you shouldn't have
to worry about autocorrelation.

One thing that does worry me, however, is that in your follow-up email
you said you were modelling a count that was "the number of groups
founded".  What exactly does that mean?