Re: st: RE: Dialog Programming

From   Phil Schumm <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Dialog Programming
Date   Wed, 30 Jul 2008 16:33:52 -0500

On Jul 30, 2008, at 3:55 PM, Martin Weiss wrote:
Maybe I misuderstand the notion of a "thread" but it still carried my original subject line. Indeed, when I click the "http:// www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2008-07/msg01070.html" via the "thread next" button, it takes me all the way through your and Nick's and Richard's and my replies...

I apologize -- I should have been clearer. What Rich started was technically a subthread. The threading is based on the "In-Reply-To" and "References" headers, not the subject header; only in the case of mailers that don't do proper threading (or MTAs that strip these headers) is the subject heading used instead. The resulting structure is reflected on the page I referenced (http://www.stata.com/ statalist/archive/2008-07/).

Now, I suppose you could argue that the subthread Rich started (and that Nick and I responded to) really didn't belong under the original thread (since writing help files has little to do with programming dialog boxes), and on some lists, people can get pretty annoyed if you hijack a thread. Whether that's what happened here or not, there are certainly much worse examples.

All I was objecting to was the fact that you quoted my message, and then wrote "We do not like the way we have to write help files, LET ALONE dialog boxes." I just wanted to clarify that that is not my sentiment. That's all.

smcl is indeed a useful language, though. In Chicago, M. Buis built his presentation around smcl files which I found really neat...

Indeed. It is well-suited to giving tutorials in Stata, which is essentially what Maarten was doing.

-- Phil

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?search