Re: st: RE: Dialog Programming

From   Richard Williams <>
To, <>
Subject   Re: st: RE: Dialog Programming
Date   Wed, 30 Jul 2008 13:09:09 -0500

At 11:23 AM 7/30/2008, Nick Cox wrote:
3. Complexity is a practical issue. I've encountered Stata programmers
of long experience who regard the expectation that help files are
written in SMCL as a reason to retire from the fray, so it's hardly
surprising that dialogs are a complication too far for many. In essence
you can't have dialogs without a programming structure to match.
I too rarely use dialogs; I just call up the help on a program. I would love to have some sort of super-easy smcl editor, e.g. a "save in smcl" addon to Word. For me at least, writing programs is kind of fun, writing help files is extremely painful.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu

* For searches and help try: