RE: st: Wildcard for string variables

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: st: Wildcard for string variables
Date   Thu, 17 Jul 2008 14:27:55 +0100

Note that this is not an answer to the question as asked.

-regexm("Tom and Tim", "Tim")- is 1.

You could use -regexm(<whatever>, "^Tim ")- to catch the first word.

It is a matter of taste, but it seems simpler to me to reach for regular
expression functions only when simpler functions such -substr()- and
-strpos()- don't yield easier answers.

In fact -word()- is also available for the purpose.

John Wagai

To get to your final answer use the regex command:

gen seq = regexm(newvar, "Tim")

NB use the newvar generated by Rich below