Statalist

RE: st: Wildcard for string variables

To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   RE: st: Wildcard for string variables
Date   Thu, 17 Jul 2008 14:18:12 +0100

Use -strpos()-.

More generally, do try out the help on string functions.

Nick
n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk

Hugh Colaco

Thanks Rich. And what if I'm looking for "Jane" anywhere inside the
string (i.e. it could be leading, somewhere in the middle, or at the
end, or even multiple times)?

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 9:03 AM, Richard Goldstein
<richgold@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> gen byte newvar=substr(sequence,1,4)=="Tim "
>

>> Hugh Colaco wrote:

>>> I am not sure how the string wildcard works. For example, I have a
>>> string variable called "sequence" that has the following
>>> observations:-
>>>
>>> 1. "Tim and Tom and Jane"
>>> 2. "Tim and Jane and Tom"
>>> 3. "Tom and Jane and Harry"