st: problems with merging datasets

From   "Murali Kuchibhotla" <>
Subject   st: problems with merging datasets
Date   Fri, 11 Jul 2008 09:15:26 -0500 (CDT)

Hello All,
          I am trying to merge 2 datasets using 2 different combinations of
identifying variables, all of which are in the string format.When I first
merge using hs_cd state and zip, I get a reasonably good match, with all but
33 observations matched between the 2(out of a total of about 1800).However,
when I redo the merge using hs_cd state zip and city, the merge completely
fails-not a single obs. is matched b/w the 2.Now, I have checked the city
variable in both datasets for common errors and have been unable to find any
mistakes-both city variables are in capital letters and there exist many
cities with common spellings across both datasets. Can someone please tell me
what I am missing?

Murali Kuchibhotla