st: RE: RE: user input as scalar value

From   "Rajesh Tharyan" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: RE: user input as scalar value
Date   Thu, 26 Jun 2008 15:33:56 +0100

Thank you very much Nick. That is exactly what I was looking for.

Martin, I did think about the dialog box. i.e.  to have the do file open
with a dialog box where I set these different parameters. But my entire
program is spilt into 6 or 7 sub programs, that means I would lose the local
macros after each one runs, working around that and programming the dialog
box, seemed too much work for what I was trying to achieve. I wanted quite
simple. But, you are right it may be very useful in certain other

Thanks very much

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of Nick Cox
Sent: 26 June 2008 14:53
Subject: st: RE: user input as scalar value

Yes, you can do this.

A canonical exchange within the do file is

di "Enter value for foo: " _request(foo)

after which local foo contains the value typed.

See -help display-.

I'd rather take arguments from the command line, but that's a matter of

Rajesh Tharyan

I have a do file, wherein I have a few scalars which I am using to
loop , as cutoff limits etc. Is it possible to have the do file
prompt the user to input the value of the scalar, so that I do not have
make the changes to the do file.

Suppose I had a do file like

Scalar a=5
Expand a