RE: st: St: variable editing

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: st: St: variable editing
Date   Wed, 25 Jun 2008 15:03:00 +0100

Among other solutions, Friedrich Huebler has already suggested
-subinstr()-, which is what occurred to me too.

Michael's approach works and if you have MS Word and Excel on your
computer -- which is not automatic for Stata users -- it may even be
quicker than rummaging around in the Stata manuals or on-line to find a
solution. Nevertheless it is pretty indirect compared with use of string

At some point it is a good idea for those who use Stata a lot just to
browse through the list of functions and see what they are missing.

Michael McCulloch

Don't know how to do this in Stata, but one approach would be:
1. export from Stata to a text file
2. open with MS WORD, and remove the asterisks doing a global
3. copy and paste from WORD to EXCEL,
4. save as *.csv
5. re-importing the data using infile or insheet.

Ric Uslaner