Re: st: St: variable editing

From   Michael McCulloch <>
Subject   Re: st: St: variable editing
Date   Tue, 24 Jun 2008 17:53:00 -0700

Don't know how to do this in Stata, but one approach would be:
1. export from Stata to a text file
2. open with MS WORD, and remove the asterisks doing a global Find-and-Replace,
3. copy and paste from WORD to EXCEL,
4. save as *.csv
5. re-importing the data using infile or insheet.

I have several data sets (from the World Bank Governance indicators) where the names of countries sometimes have one or two asterisks following their names, e.g.:

etc. I want to get rid of the asterisks to merge them with a master data set. Aside from editing each name individually, I presume that there is an easier way that I just don't know. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ric Uslaner

* For searches and help try: