Re: st: 64 bit Stata for the Mac /feature request

From   "Salah Mahmud" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: 64 bit Stata for the Mac /feature request
Date   Sun, 15 Jun 2008 09:30:48 -0500

I second Phil's request.

This is long overdue. Stata owes its success to its open design but
for what must be a good reason StataCorp opted not to open up the
editor for any customization or extension.

I've in the past proposed a solution among the lines of the Stata
plugin: a simple API that allows specially modified external editors
to pass lines of code to Stata for execution and returns the _rc code
(and perhaps the error message) to the caller. From where I sit, the
task seems almost trivial but again I do not know anything about the
innards of Stata.

I have all respect to Stata developers who always produced solid code
and innovative solutions, but the editor remains painfully inadequate
despite many recent improvements.  I still copy and paste into an
external editor to do any serious "find and replace" operations or to
do column selection.  So some essential functions in the editor need
to be improved. But as Phil said, people love their editors and it
might be just easier and cheaper for StataCorp to allow them to plug
in their favorite editors.

Hope StataCorp is listening.

salah mahmud
Canada