Re: st: Graphs With Log Scale: A Bug?

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: Graphs With Log Scale: A Bug?
Date   Wed, 28 May 2008 11:24:56 +0100 (BST)

--- "Vladimir V. Dashkeyev" <> wrote:
> I drew a two-way plot with a linear prediction line -lfitci- of X on
> natural logarithm of Y. Next, I drew the plot of X on Y with log
> scale option -yscale(log)-.
> To my surprise regression line changed its slope. The slope is
> greater with the -yscale(log)- option. I used the same X axis and
> the second Y-axis for the linear prediction graph .
> Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

This is not a bug: in the first scenario you are thinking that there is
a linear relationship between ln(Y) and X and you are showing the
predictions, while in the second scenario you are thingking that there
is a linear relationship between Y and X and then transforme the
predictions to a log scale. So the results are different because the
models are different.

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam