RE: st: xtmixed syntax [anova]

From   "Feiveson, Alan H. (JSC-SK311)" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: xtmixed syntax [anova]
Date   Fri, 23 May 2008 08:29:45 -0500

I too have been struggling with trying to "duplicate" ANOVA on complex
designs with -xtmixed-, and I also greatly appreciate Yulia's
contribution. As the Stata FAQ says - when the design is balanced , you
get the same Chidq/df as the F-ratio in ANOVA. So the next issue might
be how to decide between the two approaches when the design is
unbalanced, especially for small designs? In this case, what is ANOVA
actually testing? How serious is the error in assuming F-distributions
for some tests, when they're really not? On the other hand (I think)
inference under -xtmixed- assumes all variances are known - so there is
an error trade-off. Then, of course there is the question of how do do
multiple comparisons.

Al Feiveson

Is the error in ANOVA of assuming F-distributions when they're really
not