Re: st: Weights

Subject   Re: st: Weights
Date   Wed, 30 Apr 2008 16:02:50 -0400

First, Martin should note that SPSS does not have some magical way to hold data more compactly than Stata can. You just need to pick the proper storage types in Stata. I would guess that there are variables being held as doubles or long strings that don't need that much space. To get the most useful advice, you may want to -describe- one of your dataset chunks so that we can see where the storage is being used up.

I often work with fairly large datasets (~1 GB) and one suggestion that I haven't seen mentioned thus far is to use -recast- with the force option to convert doubles to floats when feasible. I find that compress will rarely convert a double to a float even though the actual number is stored with far less than float precision. .

Michael Blasnik

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/