RE: st: GNU Emacs, ESS and Stata

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: GNU Emacs, ESS and Stata
Date   Tue, 29 Apr 2008 14:40:12 +0100

Not quite sure what "royal pain" means here. In Britain, various
meanings spring to mind although none is Stata-related.

But one reason Stata's (dofile) editor is limited is precisely because
of users like you -- and me, and many others -- who quite separately
from Stata use have chosen a major independent editor and who wouldn't
budge from that at all readily.

The amount of code behind a really serious editor is, I imagine,
typically the same order of magnitude as that behind Stata.

We could speculate on how much development of Stata's do-file editor is
needed to make people who mainly use something else considering
switching to it as a matter of routine. I'd say a lot. Of course, that
in no way rules out any case for any number of small improvements. But
StataCorp should be reluctant to invest massive programming effort that
would not be widely appreciated.

Daniel Stegmueller

[...] Stata's editor is a royal pain.....  Plus I like to have just one
editor for my R, Bugs and Stata programming.