RE: st: Using Bayesian Information Criterion (BIC)

From   "Lorena Barberia" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Using Bayesian Information Criterion (BIC)
Date   Tue, 22 Apr 2008 13:55:32 -0300

I have a similar question. I would like to use the BIC to compare different
estimations. Specifically, I am trying to estimate models with panel
corrected standard errors (XTPCSE) and GMM First Difference and System
estimators. After both commands, I tried to issue the command estat ic. I
receive the following error message "likelihood information not found in
last estimation results."

I tried to follow Rodrigo's instructions below, but I am not able to receive
the BIC for each model. I am not sure what I am doing wrong, but I could not
get the result.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer,

Lorena

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Rodrigo Alfaro A.
Sent: Monday, April 21, 2008 4:11 PM
To: [email protected]
Cc: Beat Hintermann
Subject: RE: st: Using Bayesian Information Criterion (BIC)

Type after your reg

local bic = -2*e(ll) + log(e(N)) * (e(N) - e(df_r))

or

gen double newvar = -2*e(ll) + log(e(N)) * (e(N) - e(df_r))

* Example
sysuse auto
reg price mpg  headroom trunk
di -2*e(ll) + log(e(N)) * (e(N) - e(df_r))
estat ic

Rodrigo.