st: Running STATA on XP X64 or VISTA X64

From   "Thomas W. Volscho" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Running STATA on XP X64 or VISTA X64
Date   Sun, 20 Apr 2008 10:33:46 -0400

Following up on STATA for 64-bit computing:

I ran STATA 10/MP 64-bit edition on my Thinkpad T61 (and X61) with Vista
Ultimate 64-bit.  I did see a noticeable increase in processing times...for
instance running a recode and svy "setted" logistic regression with 32,000+
cases from BRFSS

STATA has provided 'scientific' benchmarks:
http://www.stata.com/statamp/

I disliked (hated?) Vista as an operating system and found that XP X64 could
be installed on my Thinkpad T61 (with a bit of Googling for drivers from
Intel and Lenovo and passing off a Vista driver for the audio).  XP X64 runs
very smoothly as an OS and STATA 10/MP 64-bit runs very well on this OS-it
almost seems to run BETTER on XP X64 than Vista X64.

I also have some legacy SPSS files, but XP X64 does not support SPSS.
However, if you install Virtual PC 2007 and install an OS (I used Win2k pro)
that supports SPSS on the virtual machine, then you can use SPSS.

Nonetheless, I find STATA 10/MP to be a very useful and powerful version of
STATA that has increased my productivity with faster processing and fewer
system crashes.

Thomas Volscho
Doctoral Candidate
Department of Sociology