st: RE: Hausman Test when the RE OLS model includes time-constant variables

From   "Rodrigo Alfaro A." <[email protected]>
To   "Pavlos C. Symeou" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Hausman Test when the RE OLS model includes time-constant variables
Date   Thu, 17 Apr 2008 15:06:14 -0400

Pavlos,

We are in the same page, but you are not considering that "maybe" your
x's have very small within variation, then they could be not significant
in the FE model but significant in the RE model. Anyway, not significant
variables is not bad because of that, it is bad for your research
question. I am thinking in a econometric way to fit the data instead of
doing data mining. In addition, I did not argue about your r2, which I
do not know the type that you are reporting here (within, overall,
between?). I suggested you to look on the importance of the variance of
the random component. Even more, you provided evidence that FE was
"accepted" against RE without these cross dummies. For these reasons, I
am still more favorable for FE than RE. It is a huge task convincing to
referees that random effects is appropiate because RE is not a robust
model in the set of specifications that you have.

Anyway, what are the variables behind your model, maybe other members
could provide a standard procedure for your specific data, such
education, economics, etc.

Rodrigo.