st: RE: Hausman Test when the RE OLS model includes time-constant variables

From   "Rodrigo Alfaro A." <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Hausman Test when the RE OLS model includes time-constant variables
Date   Thu, 17 Apr 2008 10:27:56 -0400

Pavlos,

When you run (FE versus RE+industry_dummies) or (FE versus RE) the Hausman-Test (HT) shows FE>RE. In addition running (FE+cross_dummies versus RE+cross_dummies), HT shows RE>FE.

It seems that you have a model like: y(i,t) = b*x(i,t) + a(i,t) + e(i,t), where a(i,t) is unobservable. FE seems to capture many of the variation of a(i,t) with b(i), at least more than RE or RE+dummies. Up to here, I would prefer the FE over the RE model. The realizations of b(i) are not "purely" random, or the random component is correlated with x(i,t).

In your second round, your RE seems more appropiate than FE with these pseudo a(i,t)... but note that FE is also "adding" other b(i) in the estimation. There is a competition between [pseudo a(i,t) minus the firm_mean] and other b(i). I am not convinced that you are estimating similar models here. It seems that a more close comparison between RE and FE can be computed with RE+ind_dummies+cross_dummies versus FE+cross_dummies. Anyway, I tend to prefer FE over RE in most of the cases. If you have a good HT supporting that RE>FE, then I would like to know how much variance is the random component adding to the model. My guess is the random component is not adding much to the explained-variance and there is a highly probability that it is not uncorrelated with x(i,t).

Best, Rodrigo.

-----Mensaje original-----
De: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] En nombre de Pavlos C. Symeou
Enviado el: Mi�rcoles, 16 de Abril de 2008 08:24 p.m.
Para: [email protected]
Asunto: st: Hausman Test when the RE OLS model includes time-constant variables

Dear Statalisters,

I have a question regarding the Hausman specification test. I want to include in my OLS model 7 time-constant variables which depict the industry classification of a firm. In order to use the Hausman test, I first estimate the FE model, I store the estimation results, then run the RE model and finally ask Stata for the estimation of the Hausman test. As it is expected, the time-constant variables are dropped from the FE model but not from the RE. This implies that the Hausman test compares two different models; one with time-constant variables and one without. The Hausman test rejects the RE model. If I omit the time-constant variables from the two models, then the Hausman test compares comparable models and still rejects the RE model. Yet, inclusion of the time-constant variables in the OLS model is important for its correct specification so I interact these variables with year dummies and include the interaction variables (and exclude the original time-constant variables) !
 in both FE and RE models. I rerun the Hausman test which now rejects the FE in favor of the RE model. I am confronted here with a dilemma where I can only perform the Hausman test if I interact my time-constant variables with year dummies, but what I actually need from my final model is the inclusion of the original time-constant variables, which however leads to the wrong estimation of the Hausman test.

I would appreciate if you could advise on this. Should I arbitrarily choose the RE model that can involve the time-constant variables in its estimation? Otherwise?

Yours,

Pavlos

ADVERTENCIA: La  informaci�n  contenida  en  esta  transmisi�n, y  en  cualquier archivo  adjunto, est�  sujeta a reserva legal conforme a la normativa aplicable  al  Banco  Central  de  Chile, y  no  puede  ser usada o difundida  por personas distintas  de  su o sus destinatarios. Si usted ha recibido esta transmisi�n por error,  por  favor  notifique  inmediatamente al remitente respondiendo por este mismo medio y elim�nela de su sistema.
El  Banco Central de Chile no se har� responsable de la exactitud y veracidad de la informaci�n contenida en este mensaje, as�  como  de su  modificaci�n, copia, divulgaci�n  o  reenv�o,  total  o  parcial.   Su  uso  no  autorizado puede ser sancionado de conformidad con las leyes chilenas.
El  Banco  Central  de  Chile  transmite  sus decisiones a trav�s de comunicados oficiales, los  que  pone  a  disposici�n  del p�blico en su p�gina de Internet: www.bcentral.cl

DISCLAIMER: The information  contained  in  this  email or any attached file, is subject to legal  privilege  pursuant  to the laws and regulations applicable to the Central  Bank  of  Chile , and may not be used or disseminated by any person other  than  its  intended recipients. If you have received this transmission in error, please  notify  the sender immediately by reply to this email address and delete it from your system.
The Central Bank  of  Chile shall not be liable for the accuracy or authenticity of the contents of this message, whether amended, copied, forwarded or disclosed in  any  form, in  whole  or  in part.  Please note that unauthorized use may be penalized  in  conformity  with  the  Chilean law.
The Central  Bank of Chile communicates its decisions by  official releases, and
makes them available to the public in its WebPages: www.bcentral.cl